Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Janet goes to a local medicine man...

This is a post by Janet:

I went to see a Bali healer, twice.
I went out of curiosity.
I went because I am interested in all healing modalities.
But mostly I went to see if he could heal my summer/fall, ten year old, nocturnal neck and arm heat rash. Those of you that know me well have heard me complain bitterly that for four 4 months of the year I am up a night icing my arms and neck for pain relief.

From October in Bali

First, a bit about Balians, which is what they are called.
The guiding principle behind this magico-medical practice comes from a
traditional Balinese saying: Desa, kala, patra; which translates as
place, time, and circumstance. In other words knowledge, action,
health or life happenings need to be contextualized in place, time
and circumstance. With this in mind treatments are particular, not
general. By ‘particular’ I mean that they believe that illness comes
from either karma or others using poison or black magic on you.

Every village has at least four Balians. There are said to be more
than 8000 in Bali, and with a population of 4 million, they are
plentiful. There are four streams of Balians, I went to see the most
common kind, an Usada, who studies sacred Balinese texts that contain
information on illnesses and how to diagnose and cure them. Many
healers do not see foreigners as they feel that the cultural barrier
is just too vast. Not surprisingly since Eat, Pray, Love numerous
healers are cashing in on the interest by tourists to visit them,
often pulling in $30.00 to $60.00 dollars a client). Our friend and
driver Agus has taken many tourists to see Elizabeth Gilbert’s healer
(though now over 90 and as of August is in the hospital). He told that
me that he heard him say the exact same thing to all the women, a few
positive general comments with a strong emphasis that they are great
in bed.

Visits to the healer are done in public with often a combination of
locals and foreigners watching and listening. Treatments generally
hurt, a lot. I screamed and howled, a lot. The pain was similar to
labour. Sharp and nasty.

From October in Bali

On my first visit I started with a 60 second explanation of my hot arm
which he didn’t seem terribly interested in. He sat me down on the mat
in front of him and pressed all sorts of points on my head and in my
ears with his hands. This was the beginning of the magical torture
session. Next he lay me down on my back and and with his small wooden
mallet he pressed my vital organs as represented on the tips of my
toes (lungs, liver, spleen, kidneys.....). They all hurt. I screamed.

From October in Bali

He then drew some patterns over my body, said a few things, and then
pressed the points again. No change. Repeat. Some change. Repeat with
a few mudras and then finally NO PAIN. That’s right. When he pressed
that nasty wooden instrument into my toes the pain was gone. He then
proceeded to take a tiny glass jar, no larger than my thumb, and with
the opening down he placed it on the base of my big toe. He pressed
hard, I screamed (I had let my guard down thinking the pain was over),
he continued for what felt like 6 months, and within 2 minutes he was
done. NO PAIN. He was taking out the toxins I was told. It took a
while to get them out he offered as an explanation for the finale.

Over the course of the treatment he told me:
-I was allergic to stress
-To look in the mirror and tell myself I was beautiful
-To swallow my smile and not smile for other people but for myself
-To do ashtanga yoga
-To meditate every day and smile while I do so
-To take his oil and put it on my neck and arms
-That my lymph nodes where all blocked
-The my sushumna energy line was blocked and to open those chakras

My rash disappeared. Yup. 100% all gone by days end. I had my first
night’s sleep without a trip to the freezer since July 3rd. 10 full
days of relief. But then.....it returned.

From October in Bali

So I returned for visit two.
Second visit was a little less magical. I was sure he would remember
me. No. I was sure he would do a follow up inquiry into my smiling
meditation. No. I was sure he would look at my arms and a small light
of recognition would go off as to who I was. No. He seemed distracted
and bored. He poked me with that darn stick and I screamed. He didn’t
seem so interested in healing me or connecting with me.
He told me not to eat fish or eggs as I was shuffling back to the car.
It was all over in 3 minutes.

And that was my trip to the healer.

No comments:

Post a Comment